.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, May 03, 2005


Ten years after a firefighter was left brain-damaged and mostly mute during a 1995 roof collapse, he did something that shocked his family and doctors

Guess it's a good thing they bothered to keep feeding him.

Brain Damaged Firefighter Makes Recovery
Tuesday May 3, 2005 10:31 AM


Associated Press Writer

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Ten years after a firefighter was left brain-damaged and mostly mute during a 1995 roof collapse, he did something that shocked his family and doctors: He perked up.

``I want to talk to my wife,'' Donald Herbert said out of the blue Saturday. Staff members of the nursing home where he has lived for more than seven years raced to get Linda Herbert on the telephone.

It was the first of many conversations the 44-year-old patient had with his wife, four sons and other family and friends during a 14-hour stretch, Herbert's uncle, Simon Manka said.

``How long have I been away?'' Herbert asked.

``We told him almost 10 years,'' the uncle said. ``He thought it was only three months.''

Herbert was fighting a house fire Dec. 29, 1995, when the roof collapsed, burying him under debris. After going without air for several minutes, Herbert was comatose for 2 months and has undergone therapy ever since.

News accounts in the days and years after his injury describe Herbert as blind and with little, if any, memory. Video shows him receiving physical therapy but apparently unable to communicate and with little awareness of his surroundings.

Manka declined to discuss his nephew's current condition, or whether the apparent progress was continuing. The family was seeking privacy while doctors evaluated Herbert, he said.

``He's resting comfortably,'' the uncle said.

As word of Herbert's progress spread, a steady stream of visitors arrived at the Father Baker Manor nursing home in this Buffalo suburb.

``He stayed up 'til early morning talking with his boys and catching up on what they've been doing over the last several years,'' firefighter Anthony Liberatore told WIVB-TV.

Herbert's sons were 14, 13, 11 and 13 when he was injured.

Staff members at the nursing facility recognized the change in Herbert, Manka said, when they heard him speaking and ``making specific requests.''

``The word of the day was `amazing,''' he said.

Dr. Rose Lynn Sherr of New York University Medical Center said when patients recover from brain injuries, they usually do so within two or three years.

``It's almost unheard of after 10 years,'' she said, ``but sometimes things do happen and people suddenly improve and we don't understand why.''

Manka said visitors let Herbert set the pace of the conversations and did not bring up the fire in which he was injured.

``The extent and duration of his recovery is not known at this time,'' Manka said. ``However we can tell you he did recognize several family members and friends and did call them by name.''


On the Net: http://www.chsbuffalo.org/body.cfm?id=982

Wow. Glad he was able reconnect and his wife continued with food and therapy for him.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

:: how jedi are you? ::
Today's Terror Warning Level Is:
Terror Alert Level 26

All original content on this blog copyright 2005-2012 by bblatt and FASTAC_6; all rights reserved. Original posts are the opinions of the authors only, and do not represent the policies or opinions of any Federal, State, or other private or corporate entity. Comments on posts are unedited, and do not represent the views of the blog authors; they may be deleted at any time by the blog authors